Sunday 29 September 2013

Dad - the Arctic Star

This is Dad! or Grandad Stan to my daughters and grandchildren.  He's 88 and coming to live with me very soon and I can't wait.  Lots of people have said how difficult it will be - but I just don't believe them, he's perennially cheerful!  Among other things  I need to get back to cooking proper meals and Dad being here will make me do it!  
This picture was taken a couple of months ago when he got he Arctic Star, 12 crossings on the North Atlantic convoys !  We never heard him talk much about the war until he got his medal and then we were amazed at what he'd done!
We've already booked for a December trip to Center Parcs with the kids - he hasn't had a holiday for a while because he's been looking after his other half.  He's looking forward to getting in the pool.  Hope I'm like him when I'm 88, hope I get to 88 ........

7 comments:

  1. Im sure you will share many great times when he comes to live with you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where would we have been without men like your dad? I'm sure you're very proud of him and I hope you have lots of happy times ahead when he comes to live with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless him and treasure him soo.. YOU are lucky! .Ooh LOVE centre parks !! had some wonderful times there...hugs Maria x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A vintage lover who lives in England? Sounds like someone I want to follow for sure! Glad you are excited about your father coming to live with you! How wonderful he must feel with such a loving welcome. It's great to "meet" you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love him already lets start a fan club?

    What a man...they dont make many like that anymore...I have one though!

    bestest weekend wishes

    Daisy j xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure think this is great and so happy about your cheerful attitude. He looks happy and would love to hear you share a story if he wouldn't mind?
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susie, Dad arrived here on Sunday! Such a relief to get him under my roof at last! We're busy getting into a routine - he'll be featuring again on the blog when things get a bit less hectic!

      Delete