Sunday 11 August 2013

Old shrub roses

Just done 10 rounds with the roses  in my garden
In July they looked like this


But some of them get so big they have to be cut right back every summer.
 I love them to pieces and the perfume is amazing - but they only flower once and then they look a bit sad.  The big white one at the top is Kiftsgate and the pruning needs to be done with a machete! Don't get one - I can only keep it under control because I can get to it from both sides...
P.S. photos carefully cropped to remove the weeds, wouldn't want you to get the wrong impression


3 comments:

  1. Oh dear, such a shame they don't last longer for you. Good to keep them under control though! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore roses and no garden would be complete without a few. As you say though some of them, beautiful though they are, can become a bit thuggish and they are devils to cut down with the thorns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too many roses, I got carried away with them and half of them are old shrubs which only flower the once. I'm trying to add David Austin ones which come back again after dead heading but at the moment they are all having a rest!

      Delete